Poodles and beagles are generally healthy dog breeds but they are at risk of developing some health problems. But what about poodle beagle mix? Are you suffering from the same issue? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Unfortunately, all dog breeds are prone to common health problems. Purebred dogs often suffer from genetic conditions and diseases associated with decades of breeding.
It’s not an easy task to find detailed information on this topic. Poodle beagle mixes are designer dogs. This means they are not recognized by organizations such as the American Kennel Club (AKC) and the United Kennel Club (UKC). That’s why their records are incomplete as compared to other dogs.
I have tried my level best to gather all the available information that would be very beneficial for you. So, you can take all the precautionary measures and ensure the good health of your poogle dog.
In this article, I would cover some other topics that would help you in maintaining a healthy lifestyle for your poodle beagle mix. If you follow the guidelines, then there is very less probability that your poogle puppy can develop any of the diseases that I will discuss later in the article. The topics are the following:
- List of High-Quality Small Breed Dog Foods
- Exercise and Training for Healthy Lifestyle
Without wasting any time, let’s jump in.
The beagle poodle mix is a relatively healthy hybrid as compared to other dog breeds. It can hopefully make your life well and amazing for the next 10 – 16 years.
Being a mixed-breed dog, he may inherit health problems from both parent breeds. Therefore, it’s a good idea to learn about the most common conditions and be aware of associated symptoms.
This happens when the dog’s thyroid gland is not producing enough hormone that plays a vital role in the growth, metabolism, and development of the body.
- The coat is thinner than normal.
- Gains weight but there is no change in appetite.
- Skin diseases.
- Sheds more than normal.
If you notice any of these symptoms, take your dog to the veterinarian for proper treatment.
Both beagle and poodle parent breeds are known to suffer from various eye disorders. The main problems that you can encounter are:
- Progressive retinal atrophy – In most cases, early signs are night blindness which will frequently progress to day blindness.
- Cataract – The cloudy area formed in the lens of the eye is caused by the water and protein imbalance within the lens.
If your poogle puppy is a miniature or toy poodle mix, this can be a problem for him. This is where the kneecap dislocates and can be very painful.
The dislocation occurs because the groove in which the kneecap (patella) fits is too shallow. This can lead to misalignment. Ultimately, surgery is the solution for this because it can deepen the groove and keep the patella in place.
- Difficult for the dog to straighten its paws perfectly or extend its leg fully.
Intervertebral Disc Disease
The main cause of this disease is the fluid imbalance which can result in compression in your dog’s spinal column. You should take all necessary precautions to prevent your poogle dog from this condition.
- At worst, this disease can lead to serious problems such as:
- Back and neck pain
- Sensory disturbances
- Decreased bowel control
This condition is an abnormality in the formation of the hip joint in dogs. Bone rubs against bone because of a poorly formed hip joint which results in inflammation. If left unchecked, it can lead to arthritis and debilitating pets. For severe cases, surgery is the usual treatment, and many dogs affect both hip joints.
Overeating is a common cause, so you need to pay attention to how much your pet eats each day.
- Decreased activity and range of motion
- Reluctance in running, jumping, or climbing stairs
- Lameness in the hind end
- Loss of thigh muscle mass
This condition is similar to Hip Dysplasia as mentioned above, but it is an abnormality in the formation of the elbow which is a more complex joint.
- Stiffness or limping
- Avoid or show less enthusiasm to go for walks or play
- Front paws pointing outwards
- Elbows held at a strange angle
- Swollen, puffy elbows (in severe cases)
Beagle poodle mixes can inherit this from their beagle parent breeds.
- The size of your dog is much smaller than normal.
- Extremely short legs as compared to other dogs of the same breed, then he may have this condition.
Two diseases can be devastating for the health of your poogle puppy.
- Mitral Valve Disease – It will eventually cause the heart to fail.
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus – Causes heart murmurs.
- Breathing difficulties
- Abnormal pulses
- Exercise intolerance
When there is no regular brushing and plaque is allowed to build up in the dog’s mouth, it hardens into tartar (or dental calculus). Never use human toothpaste and prefer daily brushing to avoid dental problems.
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Tooth decay
Many breeds have seizures for no apparent reason. The most common cause is an inherited disorder but its exact cause is very difficult to find.
Witnessing an episode is traumatic, but it is usually mild and can be treated with proper medication. However, an extreme attack can be fatal.
- Dilated pupils
- Excessive salivation
Dogs with Addison’s disease fail to produce certain hormones, leading to several potential medical conditions, including cancer. The main problem is that these are common symptoms of many other diseases, making the diagnosis of Addison’s disease challenging.
- Hair loss
- Weight loss
- Bloody stools
To reduce the risk of all these conditions, you should only hire reputable breeders to test parent breeds as part of your breeding program.
For the good health of your poogle puppy, you should follow the recommended feeding schedule that is further explained in the article.
Poogle puppies eat about 1 cup of food a day, divided into 2-3 meals. He will do well on quality dry food that provides a balanced diet including:
- Healthy omega fatty acids
To keep your poogle’s coat healthy and well-groomed, you need to give him enough omega fatty acids in his diet. Excellent sources of omega fatty acids are:
- Fish oil
- Sunflower oil
- Canola oil
You should also feed them according to their life stage. You should also look for dry food that is small enough for him to eat if he is very small.
You should have to watch the treat intake if your beagle poodle mix inherits the appetite of a beagle breed. Don’t let him eat more than he can burn out. Otherwise, there is a high probability that he will become a porky poogle.
Some high-quality small breed dog foods are listed below:
Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe with Real Duck
I have used this almost many times and it is a nutritious dry food for small active dogs like beagle poodles.
- All-natural ingredients such as duck meat, natural carbohydrates, and vegetables are used to prepare this food.
- It gives your beagle poodle mix plenty of nutrients without grains, which makes it much easier for your dog to digest.
Petcurean Go! Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Duck Recipe
- This dog food is prepared by using all-natural ingredients that include de-boned duck meat, lentils, peas, and tapioca.
- It is enriched with enough proteins essential for the muscle growth of your beagle poodle mix.
- Moreover, it has all the vital minerals and vitamins for the nourishment of the body and to keep the coat shiny.
- To make it better digestible, it is also grain free.
Purina Beneful IncrediBites
- This special food is prepared by using real beef, healthy grains, and vegetables like carrots and peas.
- Each bite is just the appropriate size for small mouths so that your dog can easily eat and chew.
- This nutritious food gives your beagle poodle the mix enough energy they need to play.
- In addition to all this, it is enriched with 23 vitamins and minerals for the nourishment of the body and better digestion.
Royal Canin Mini Size Health Nutrition
As you know that small dogs are at higher risk of developing tartar, so we recommend feeding them this brand of dog food.
- This dog food is prepared in such a way that it helps in minimizing tartar build-up in dogs.
- Reduces the risk of serious oral health problems.
- To promote better health, it is enriched with the necessary levels of DHA and EPA.
- Moreover, it helps in providing your beagle poodle mix with a healthier coat and better nutrition.
Merrick Lil Plates Grain-Free
- Made with 70% real meat, this dog food provides your dog with plenty of muscle-building proteins.
- If your beagle poodle mix is a picky eater, the Merrick brand offers a variety of flavors including beef, chicken, salmon, and lamb.
- Moreover, it has all the necessary probiotics and is grain-free, making your dog’s digestive system healthier.
To make sure that your beagle poodle mix should live a healthy life, you should include red meat, rice, and vegetables in his diet. As a result, you can easily fulfill their nutritional needs and prevent them from obesity and other diseases.
Regular exercise is must for the good health of your poogle. Poogles are adorable but energetic and designer dogs that need a minimum of one hour of exercise each day. He’s an intelligent dog, so I recommend that you should have a variety of training sessions for your beagle poodle mix.
You would find him a great jogging partner and flyball participant. Your poogle will also love trips to the local dog’s park so that he can make new friends.
There’s no excuse for missing a walk if your poogle looks more like a poodle parent. But if he looks like a beagle breed, he may be trying to convince you that he doesn’t have to walk all the time. But don’t get fooled by his big doggy eyes. Regular exercise is necessary to maintain good health.
Due to the inheritance of his water-loving poodle genes, he may be a water puppy. However, if your poogle has a body type much similar to a beagle parent, which has a long body and short legs. So, he is not suited for swimming.
Make sure to invest in a dog life jacket if your poogle is not blessed with the long legs like a poodle parent. So, he can safely enjoy the water.
Training will allow you to direct the energies of your poogle in a positive way to keep him active and satisfy him mentally. So, he can live a happy and healthy life.
Training a poogle dog isn’t hard, but it’s not easy either as compared to other dogs. He is a very smart and energetic dog, inherited from his poodle and beagle parents. So, start training your poogle as soon as you bring him home if you don’t want him to be rude and impudent.
Overall, you are dealing with an adorable and highly intelligent dog breed with relatively short attention spans. If you can find a proper way to balance the two personalities, you will soon be able to train your beagle poodle dog into an obedient one.
Recommended Tips for Training
- Learn to get their attention.
- Expose him to as many unfamiliar people and animals as possible in a controlled environment.
- To make him comfortable in different environments, you should also expose him to loud noises such as walking on sidewalks or vacuum cleaners.
- Reward them for their good behavior.
- Teach your dog to recognize you.
- Ensure regular exercise.
Socialization plays an important role in building the confidence of a beagle poodle cross. Early training and instruction will increase the chances of a disciplined, respectful, and obedient puppy when he grows up.
Considering that the beagle poodle mixed breed can suffer from separation anxiety, crate training is recommended. If you make him feel comfortable and try to give him a pleasant environment, he’ll jump right in and feel safe in his new home.
Poogles can have inherited health problems because they are hybrid dogs, but early diagnosis with the help of the symptoms and regular checkups can increase your dog’s life.
Give your beagle poodle mix a high-quality nutritious diet and ensure his regular exercise. Then, you can prevent him from different diseases and he can live a happy and healthy life.
If you like this article, share it as much as you can. Feel free to comment if you find any information missing so that we can add it and make this article more beneficial for others. Thank you for reading!