When choosing a crate for your new beagle puppy, there are many things you need to take into account. The size of the crate, the type of material it is made out of, and whether or not it has a divider are all important factors. The size of the crate is important because you want to ensure that your puppy will have enough room to move around and be comfortable, but you also don’t want it to be so big that your puppy can have accidents in one corner and sleep in the other.
Among dog breeds, Beagles are one of the most loving, friendly, and popular dogs bred, requiring a lot of playtime. Crate training a beagle is not a child’s play but a crate of the right size, patience and discipline will help you a lot, lowering the difficulty. You have to purchase the crate one time, make sure you choose the right one.
Due to the different variety of options in the market, choosing a crate of the right size is not easy. I’m here to end your worries. I have written a comprehensive article on the best dog crate size for a beagle and why it is necessary. So let’s dive into the topic!
Why Is It Necessary to Use a Crate for A Beagle?
Most dog owners get offended when they are offered to buy a crate for their beagle.
It’s quite obvious to understand them because the dog is a free-living and loving creature and feels comfortable within the family and around people.
Seeing beagle rooming and playing around in the house is really good.
Beagles are cute and monsters at the same time. Beagles love to chew and will destroy your furniture, shoes, cell phones, and other stuff at home when left alone.
So, the beagle crate is the necessity of the owner.
Beagle’s Height and Weight
Beagles are broadly distinguished as moderate-sized bred.
Adult Beagle Male
Adult male beagle’s (purebred) height ranges from 14 to 16 inches and in connection with weight, commonly male beagle’s weight ranges from 9 to 10 kg (22 to 24 pounds).
Adult Beagle Female
Adult purebred female beagles’ height varies from 13 to 15 inches while the weight of a female beagle ranges from 9 to 10 kg (20 to 22 pounds), a bit smaller than male.
Crate Size for Beagles
If you have made up your mind to keep your beagle in a crate, so for its comfort, safety, and security look for the crate of perfect size. While choosing a crate always remember, that within seven months beagles will reach their adult size. So, the crate should be of a size that supports their size when they are fully grown. It should be of a size so that beagle can easily stand up and turn around.
So, what would be the perfect-sized crate for a beagle?
Due to minor variations among genders, an adult beagle (average size) can easily adjust into a dog crate of moderate size, having (36L x 23W x 25H) dimensions. The space is sufficient and translocation becomes easy. Make sure that you chose a crate with dimensions close to it. Although 30 inches crate is most commonly used by most pet owners, 36 inches is highly recommended.
According to their size, crates larger than 36 inches can also be used. If you think, your beagle’s size is bigger than the average size then measuring the beagle’s weight, length and weight would be better to get the crate of the appropriate size.
Crates of different sizes and types are available in the market, the best choice is made according to your needs.
Reasons Why Crates are Good for Beagles
Seeing your beagle pup sleeping and playing in its crate is a delightful scene. We have mentioned a few benefits of crates for your beagle.
- Acting as a safe place for your beagle to sleep and rest when he has to stay on his own and remain protected from kids and other pets.
- A crate makes it easy for you, to take your beagle with you while traveling by car or airplane.
- If you are expecting guests who are not very much fond of dogs, you can lock up your dog.
- Act as an instrument to train your dog and turn him into a disciplined dog
- Catastrophic behavior of beagle can be avoided
- Protects from dangers
Crates Types Based on Material
Based on the material from which they are made, there are 3 types of crates as mentioned below.
Metal Wire crate
These crates provide proper ventilation and visibility to the dogs, making them feel secure and comfortable. Most of the crates have a divider panel to adjust the room inside the kennel as the beagle puppy gets mature. It’s easy to operate and maintain metal crates and doesn’t get harmonized with the dog’s odor.
These are the fabric carriers and are very light. These are foldable and can be easily stored in any place when are not in use. The soft-sided kennel is the best choice for crate-trained dogs These are not long-lasting and are delicate. Try not to leave your pup for a long time in them.
Plastic crates are long-lived, portable, and easy to clean and wash. These are not good to keep your beagle for a long time in it since these are the least ventilated so they are only perfect for transportation. Plastic crates cannot be folded and consume a lot of space.
3 Ideal Dog Crates for Your Beagle
Due to plenty of options available, one may get confused while selecting one. We recommend you use one of the following crates for your beagle.
Amazon Basics Foldable Metal Wire Dog Crate
The Amazon Basics metal dog crate features a single, front door design for easy entry/exit; ideal for crate training and secure containment for pets.
The dog crate’s reliable door locking mechanism ensures a secure closure with simple manual operation.
The crate sets up in no time. Please check that the crate is properly assembled, your pet can move comfortably, and latches and hooks are secure.
When not in use, the dog crate can be folded flat for easy carrying and compact storage. The base tray is removable for easy cleaning.
- Dog crate with a single front door entry; designed with your pet’s safety, security, and comfort in mind
- 36-inch indoor dog crate made of durable metal wire; sturdy base tray and top handle included
- Reliable manual locking mechanism for safe and secure containment
- Folds flat for easy portability and compact storage; removable plastic base tray for easy cleaning
- Product dimensions: 36 x 23 x 25 inches (LxWxH)
- Your dog should be able to stand up and turn around while in the crate. Measure your dog from nose to hind end while they are standing, and from the top of their head to the floor. Add 4 inches to those measurements to confirm optimal crate height and length.
- Assembly and safety instructions are included; please read all safety instructions prior to use.
- wires are not very thick and tough compared to other crates
Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
This comfortable pet carrier is constructed from recycled plastic (heavy duty) offering 360-degree ventilation and enhanced visibility. This comfortable kennel has a front latch bar that is easy to open. This kennel has strap holes to tie down and the interior is raised. In the market, it is available in a variety of sizes having a range from 25 to 90 pounds. Assembling this crate is very easy.
- DOG AIR TRAVEL KENNEL: This large dog travel kennel features tie-down strap holes, wire vents for ventilation a raised interior to keep pets safe and comfortable For large dogs 70-90 lbs Measures: 40″
- AIRLINE-ADAPTABLE: This dog crate meets most airline cargo specifications Made with heavy-duty recycled plastic material and features an easy-open front latch to quickly access pets
- KENNELS HOUSES: Crate kennel training is vital for dog safety and comfort We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses more
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats furry friends, in general, Starting with the very first dog kennel, we’ve produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens other small furry friends Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm Hammer, Booda, Chuckit, Jackson Galaxy more
- The visibility of the beagle is enhanced
- Easy to assemble
- Ventilation is good
- Reliable and cozy for travel
- Bad option for escaper
Frequently Asked Questions
What size crate is good for Beagle?
A perfect beagle dog crate should have a length of 36 inches.
What size dog crate is right for my dog?
To find out this, measure the length and height of your dog when standing and add extra four inches to the previous measurement to have the perfect dog crate
How do I know if my dog’s crate is too small?
If the dog is not able to sit, stand, and stretch out easily in his crate or his nose and back end are touching the crate’s end simultaneously, the crate is small.
How do I know if my dog has an outgrown crate?
If the head of the dog and the roof of the crate are touching each other and you think that the height of your pup will increase further, the crate is not fit for your dog.